Step 1First, prepare the fruit - chop the raisins with a damp knife and quarter the cherries. Put all the fruit into a container, pour over the sherry and stir in the grated rind. Cover with a lid and leave to soak for 3 days, stirring daily.
Step 2Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, treacle and blanched almonds into a large bowl and beat well. Add the flours and spice and mix thoroughly. Stir in the sherry soaked fruit.
Step 3Grease and line a 20cm square tin with greaseproof paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level out evenly.
Step 4Bake slowly until cooked through (approx. 4 hours).
Step 5Once cooled, soak with sherry weekly and store in an airtight container until Christmas.
- 500 g Country Range Currants
- 350 g Country Range Sultanas
- 175 g Country Range Raisins
- 350 g Country Range Glacé Cherries
- 2 oranges (rind only)
- 150 ml sherry
- 250 g Country Range Butter
- 250 g dark brown sugar
- 5 Country Range Free Range Medium Eggs
- 75 g Country Range Self Raising Flour
- 175 g Country Range Plain Flour
- 75 g Country Range Chopped Almonds, blanched
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 ½ tsp Country Range Ground Mixed Spice
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist