Step 1Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
Step 2Place a splash of olive oil into a hot pan and seal the lamb until golden brown. Remove from the pan and leave to one side.
Step 3Place the pan back on the heat and add butter. Fry the carrots and onions until slightly golden then add the tomato paste and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
Step 4Add the lamb stock and mix to a smooth, rich sauce. Add the garlic and herbs and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step 5Place the lamb into an ovenproof dish, cover with the sauce and then put into the oven for an hour.
Step 6Remove from the oven and top with the sliced potatoes, season and then put back in for a further hour at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2.
Step 7When the potato is cooked and golden brown, remove from the oven. Brush with a little butter and serve. Great with Country Range Pickled Red Cabbage.
- 1.25 kg shoulder of lamb, diced
- 1 ½ ltrs lamb stock 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp Country Range Dried Rosemary
- 125 g Country Range Butter
- 80 g Country Range Plain Flour
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 pinch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Country Range Garlic Purée
- 2 tsp Country Range Tomato Paste
- splash olive oil salt and pepper to taste
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist