Step 1Peel the potatoes and cut into even sized chunks. Place in a pan with sufficient water, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
Step 2Whilst the potatoes are cooking, lay the fish in a large frying pan and pour over sufficient milk to cover. Place the bay leaves and the peppercorns in the milk, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes until the fish flakes apart. D
Step 3For the sauce, melt 75g butter in a pan over a low heat. Add the flour and whisk together. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly then carefully whisk in the reserved liquid and further milk to make a creamy sauce. Season and add the ground nutmeg.
Step 4Prepare the fish by removing any skin and bones. Place in a large pie dish and gently break up the fish. Pour over the sauce and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Step 5Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Drain the potatoes and mash with 50g of butter and a little milk. Add the dried herbs and mix well. Spoon the mash over the fish and sauce and spread carefully. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Step 6For the pea puree, place the peas in a pan with 100ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Drain then add the seasoning and cream. Mix well. Crush with a potato masher and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- 800 g floury potatoes (Desiree/Maris Piper)
- 550 g undyed smoked haddock
- 200 g salmon fillet
- 725 ml milk
- 2 Country Range Bay Leaves
- 12 Country Range Whole Black Peppercorns
- 125 g Country Range Butter
- 75 g Country Range Plain Flour
- ½ tsp Country Range Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Country Range Dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp Country Range Freeze Dried Chive Rings
- For the rustic pea purée:
- 300 g Country Range Garden Peas (frozen)
- 200 ml double cream
- ½ tsp Country Range Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Country Range Whole Fennel
- salt and pepper to taste
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist