Step 1Remove all bones and place mackerel fillets side by side in a deep dish. Scatter with the dill, bay leaves, horseradish and onion. Cover and refrigerate.
Step 2Combine 150ml water with sugar, white wine vinegar and spices in a saucepan and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil, immediately remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
Step 3Pour the cold marinade over the mackerel, cover the dish with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) before serving.
Step 4For the alioli, put the saffron powder, garlic granules, egg yolks and lemon juice into a food processor. Blend until thick and smooth. With the motor running, slowly trickle in the oil until mixed. Season well.
Step 5Drain the mackerel fillets and place on plates with some of the marinated onion rings and garnish with sprigs of dill. Serve with the alioli, a green salad and slices of toasted focaccia.
- 6 mackerel fillets (unsmoked), with skin
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 3 Country Range Bay Leaves
- 2 cm piece horseradish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 150 g red onion, sliced into rings
- 250 ml Country Range White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Country Range Ground Pimento/Allspice
- 2 tsp Country Range Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Country Range Whole Caraway Seeds
- 2 tsp Country Range Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Country Range Whole White Peppercorns
- For the alioli:
- pinch saffron powder
- 2 tsp Country Range Garlic Granules
- 2 medium Country Range Free Range Medium Egg yolks
- ½ lemon (juice only)
- 150 ml Country Range Vegetable Oil
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist