Step 1Wash the chicken and pat it dry.
Step 2In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together with the oil to form a thin paste. Rub the paste all over the outside of the chicken and under the skin. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours, or overnight if time allows.
Step 3Remove the chicken from the fridge and leave to rest for an hour before to ensure a more even cooking.
Step 4Pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Arrange the lemons around the bird on the tray then place in the oven for 20 minutes.
Step 5Turn the heat down to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and cook for 1 hour, or until thoroughly cooked, basting the chicken with juices every 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Step 6For the cous cous, fry the onion in oil until soft the set aside.
Step 7Make up the cous cous as per pack instructions using chicken stock in place of water.
Step 8Once the cous cous is light and fluffy, stir through the onion, pomegranate seeds and mint. Serve alongside the chicken, using the juices from the chicken as gravy if required.
- 1 whole chicken (1.2-1.6kg)
- 2 tsp Country Range Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Country Range Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Country Range Whole Caraway Seeds, ground
- ½ tsp Country Range Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Country Range Paprika
- 1 tsp Country Range Garlic Granules
- ¼ tsp Country Range Crushed Chillies
- ½ tsp Country Range Mint
- ½ tsp Country Range Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Country Range Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Country Range Salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Country Range Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 lemons, halved
- Jewelled Cous Cous
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- 200 g cous cous
- 570 ml chicken stock
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist