Step 1Place the onions and garlic in an even layer in the slow cooker and pour in the stock or broth.
Step 2Combine the sugar, chilli powder, measured salt, cumin, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork and place the meat on top of the onions and garlic, add the peeled and sliced apples and black eyed peas, cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, about 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
Step 3Remove the pork from the oven on to a cutting board. Drain over a sieve into a medium heatproof bowl.
Step 4Pour the onion, beans and apple mixture from the slow cooker through the strainer and return the solids to earthenware dish . Set the strained liquid aside.
Step 5If the pork has a bone, remove and discard it. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding any large pieces of fat. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, add the barbecue sauce, if using, and mix to combine.
Step 6If you’re not using barbecue sauce, use a spoon to skim and discard the fat from the surface of the strained cooking liquid, and then add 1/4 cup of the liquid at a time to the slow cooker until the pork is just moistened.
Step 7Taste and season with salt as needed. Place onto a bun with the apple and black eyed beans and serve.
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lltr Country Range chicken stock
- 6 Braeburn apples
- 50 g Country Range Black Eyed Beans
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Country Range Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Country Range Salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp Country Range Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp x tsp Country Range Ground Cinnamon
- 1 x 2 x 1/2 kg boneless or bone-in pork shoulder
- 2 cups Country Range Barbecue Sauce (optional)
Not sure what to cook?
Sign up to the mailing list for more hassle free recipes
Find A Country Range Stockist
The Country Range brand is stocked exclusively by the 12 Members of the Country Range Group. These are all family owned, independent foodservice wholesalers located throughout the UK and Ireland.Find a Stockist